Tuesday, October 19, 2010

In a fight with God


I was in a fight with God for a while; not because of circumstances (he has always been very nice to me) or facts (very long and cool quote coming on that) but over the basic unanswerables that we come up against in life. And when that happens, it takes time (minutes to years) to hash it all out, and then choose to believe, or not, that God is still who he says he is, and is still good. And that, I suppose, is what faith is- faith is sometimes BECAUSE of, but often faith is usually IN SPITE of.

"My most recent faith struggle is not one of intellect. I don't really do that anymore. Sooner or later you just figure out there are some guys who don't believe in God, and they can prove he doesn't exist, and some other guys who do believe in God and they can prove he does exist, and the argument stopped being about God a long time ago and now it's about who is smarter, and honestly I don't care. I don't believe people ever walk away from God for intellectual reasons. People walk away for social reasons, identity reasons, deep emotional reasons, the same reasons any of us do anything."
-Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this :)

2 comments:

MYSTIC SILKS said...

Very interesting topic.
Can't say I walked away from God, but more like kept God on a back burner.
But , maybe because I pay closer attention, I've seen too many areas in my life, where I can say the presence of God was all around me.

Guess, when I talk to God, would like to have a real conversation.
Know what I mean?

http://silksmystic.blogspot.com/

My Journey to Hope said...

Good post, and great quote. I read that book a while ago, and it definitely challenged my perspective. I've struggled in faith, and still do sometimes. But I've found when I'm completely at a loss- either with no hope, with insane circumstances, or because of hard questions with no answers- when I finally get on my face and admit I'm clueless, that's when I KNOW God is who he says he is. He is still there in my heart and mind, quietly reassuring me that I don't have to know where he's taking me, that he will carry me if need be, and that I don't have to understand.

Faith is believing in things we're not sure of. It's having a heart of hopefulness. Anyway, I just wanted to share because it encourages me to remember why I believe, and I love encouraging others to do the same.

:) Michelle